Falling pianos

Gittinger, Delbert M. delgit@acc-net.com
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:57:36 -0500

I've been moving pianos for 24 years.  Most of the time I move spinets,
consoles, and studios by myself.  The only time I have trouble is when the
customer tries to help.

The only piano to fall was when I was letting the piano down the ramp off
the back of my truck.  The man of the house was sure I needed the help I
had declined and began to "help" hold back the piano which was on a four
wheel dolly.  Of course his force pushed the high end of the piano to the
side and off the ramp.  The piano ended up on its back with no damage.  In
fact it wasn't even scratched.  It had fallen on grass.  After rubbing off
the grass stain on the back post I put it back on the dolly and into the
house.

The tuning was shaken some which was easily corrected with a quick pitch
raise/leveling tuning.

Del Gittinger,  RPT
Registered Piano Technician
of the Piano Technicians Guild