Hearing Aids and Voicing

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 02:42:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi, John and Danny.

One word of caution about attempting to needle those hammers, however
slightly. Look closely at the hammer flanges. I believe that you will
find that they are plastic. You know, the kind that crumble and break
when you exert the slightest bit of pressure on them. MAKE SURE that
you support those hammers firmly and carefully when trying to needle
them, because those flanges will break very easily. I believe that
both the wippen and damper flaanges are also plactic. Elbows, too.
If you're concerned about being able to voice the hammers down by
needling without breaking fragile action parts that can be a real
PITA to replace, you might want to consider applying a softening so-
lution such as fabric softner and water be means of a hypo-oiler to
the hammers and play it safe.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net