Voice w/ tuning lever;define well temp.

Mon, 10 Mar 1997 18:24:14 -0800

David, et al.

Dover used to be willing to (re) publish out-of-print books for which there
was a "reasonable"
demand.  It's difficult to know what those numbers might be.

Perhaps, Owen would consider releasing it is some format through the guild.
 Maybe individual chapters, or something.
I would hate to see a piecemeal approach, but the information from his
research is too valuable to allow it
to languish.

Or, some kind of on-line situation.  If they can do it for some of the
(other) esoteric nonsense that is available,
it can certainly be done for this.

Among the problems with this kind of thing, however, are questions like:
Who is going to provide the
net-server space for this?  If it is done for Owen's work (as it should
be), will it also be done for some of the
other now much longer out of print references?  etc.

This could easily be a $50K/year project for several years to get off the
ground.  There are information
service companies which might be willing to lease space on their machines.

Random thoughts coruscating through an empty cranial cavity.

Best.

Horace

At 08:07 PM 3/10/97 -0600, you wrote:
>At 06:39 PM 3/10/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hello, Karen;
>>	I don't usually like to make long quotes from published works, but
>>this book is out of print, and Prof. Jorgensen does make it pretty clear.
>>
>>from TUNING THE HISTORICAL TEMPERAMENTS BY EAR, Owen Jorgensen, 1977;
>

>Dear Friends,
>
>May I make the request that if anyone finds a spare copy of this book that
>they would be able to part with, please post the information to the list.
>I would love to own a copy of this book, and I am sure that there are a
>number of other technicians who also would love to own it as well.  I love
>this discussion on well temperament.  I just recently tuned two pianos in
>two different well temperaments, and was surprised at the difference in
>tone color.  Tell us more about well temperament!
>
>Sincerely,
>David
>

>David A. Vanderhoofven       Associate Member, PTG
>Joplin, Missouri, USA        e-mail:  dkvander@clandjop.com
>
>web page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/
>#pianotech page:  http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

Horace Greeley