Congrats, André

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 13:46:41 -0600 (CST)

Dear John and List,

I would like to second your sentiments expressed here.  Personally, I am
very sad and disappointed about Andr=E9's departure; I enjoyed his wit and
wisdom and having the opportunity to exchange ideas with a technician from
abroad.

In a way it is not surprising that this method of communication attracts
persons with a lot of personal anger, competitiveness and hostility to
express, and who are not comfortable expressing this in a more mindful or
direct manner.  On the other hand I hope that Andr=E9 and other internationa=
technicians on the list understand that most of us US techs are really
amiable and supportative toward one another.

Perhaps it is helpful to remind ourselves that we are a kind of fraternity
of individuals with many common interests.  We have such a wonderful
opportunity to learn and share with technicians from all over the world.
How many more hurt feelings and injured withdrawals from the list (and from
PTG, for that matter) will it take to learn this lesson?

Peace,

Charles

>Andr=E9 Oorebeek was elected president of the Dutch VvPN.
>
>But unfortunately, Andr=E9 has unsubscribed due to the rash of
>>hate mail received over the hammer hardening discussion.
>
>Must you reply with the zeal of an attacking pitbull?
>Where is the civility, the professional discourse?
>
>Jon Page
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
>The anonimity this medium offers is not license for rudeness.
>
><<warning: all flames promptly forwarded to the list unread.>>

Charles Ball, RPT
School of Music
University of Texas at Austin
ckball@mail.utexas.edu