Century Old Pianos

Stephen F Schell stfrsc@juno.com
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 09:50:58 -0800 (PST)

Dear List,

      Les Smith's recent post is bound to ruffle a few feathers due to
the severity of his criticisms of modern imported  pianos, but there is much to cherish in his appraisal of high grade 19th century pianos, and his perspective in general. Don't we all run into old Geo. Steck, Henry F.
Miller, Chickering (yes, even the oft-maligned quarter grand) Weber, etc.
etc. pianos which really shine musically despite their dilapidated condition? I am in complete agreement with Les that the best instruments from this period set a standard of excellence which, in musical terms, is rarely approached today.

                      So what has gone wrong? Why aren't today's pianos
better in all respects than those made decades before electricity? Isn't
mankind's history a straight line of progress toward a better tomorrow?

                                      I see a parallel here to my favorite hobby, sound recording and reproduction equipment. The early development of sound equipment in the 1930s was spearheaded by Western Electric,
RCA and others, to provide sound in motion picture theatres. The well financed engineering departments of these companies developed amplifiers employing directly heated triode vacuum tubes driving large, greatly efficient horn loaded loudspeakers. These s
ystems have been long since been replaced with more "modern" technology, but audiophiles are just beginning to rediscover the astonishing performance available from the earlier
approach. The old theatre gear which survives is highly prized by collectors.

                                                                With audio, the early efforts concentrated on making the best equipment possible. Later came the inevitable pressure to make it cheaper, smaller, easier to
produce, more energy efficient, all at a cost in performance in one way or another. The trend continues to this day.

                   One could go one with more examples of the public's
gradual acceptance of declining quality standards; drip coffee, microwaved food, formica countertops, and on and on (my computer is in the
kitchen, can you tell?).  A common thread is that the latest development
is touted as New! Improved! and skillfully marketed in a manner which obscures the aspects in which the new product is inferior to the old. After a while, the population ages, and few even remember that an aria played on the phonograph could make you weep
, or that the family piano could fill
the house with beautiful music.

                Despite their popularity, the smaller, cheaper  pianos which have dominated the marketplace for most of this century do not seem to have maintained the prevalence of the piano in people's lives that was
unquestioned a century ago. I'm sure that there are many reasons for
this, but the fact that most pianos don't sound as good as they used to
probably contributes to this sad state of affairs.

                            Thank you, Les, for your insightful commentary. Do you have more to say on the subject? I, for one, would love to hear
more.

              Steve Schell

          stfrsc@juno.com