Voicing with tuning lever

Paul N. Bailey 103445.713@CompuServe.COM
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 13:23:52 -0500 (EST)

        Pianos sound better in well temperaments than they do in equal
temperament.

        One can dismiss this as a question of 'personal taste', but it
isn't, really.
        On several occasions I have witnessed side-by-side comparisons
of e.t. and well temperament. Sometimes the pianos have been exactly the
same make and model, and sometimes not. Invariably the well tempered
piano has been selected as sounding better. Sometimes the well tempered
piano and the e.t. piano have been confused, because the 'audience'
(of piano technicians) has assumed the better sounding piano must be the
one in the 'modern' tuning. Astonishingly, the well tempered piano will
sound better, one note at a time, even without the context of music;
which doesn't seem to make much sense, but I assume it's because the
entire instrument has more harmonic alignment, which makes it more
resonant, even when the dampers are on the strings.

	 Caution:  Music may be closer than it appears.  Improper use
may result in unusual situations.

        A good well temperament often causes the piano to
grow, usually at least four inches, sometimes as much as a foot.

        Exposure to well temperament can cause tuning clients
to require more frequent tuning service.

        Performers and audiences alike can experience emotional
reactions beyond the familiar.

			Paul Bailey RPT
			San Mateo, CA
			103445.713@Compuserve.com