voice from *Hear*

RPSPIANO@aol.com RPSPIANO@aol.com
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 20:05:05 -0500 (EST)

List Members

 	"And what is a piano supposed to sound like, anyway?"
  >> -Horace

Yes, I did ask this rather esoteric question intentionally ,
but this response may be a little too philosophical. :-)
 How about if we narrow it down
to what is "this piano supposed to sound like" ? That is a
question I have asked myself, maybe some others too.

Bill Ballard writes: <<
Mind if I head for the Zen? Before procedures, I must mention the two
most important voicing tools: our hearing and our experience. >>

Bill, I agree, to have a concept of what a
particular instrument is capable of - is rudimentray to begin
the process.  As you said the "tone regulating stage"

<<Ludwig Tomescu of S&S C&A advised, pick out those notes which you think
are already where you want the piano to be, and which can serve as  guide
points. (In effect, voicing is a matter of "connecting the dots" between
these points.) He said (and this was the New England Regional '89) if you
cant' find at least twos notes. something's wrong.>> <snip>

What a clever way of thinking " connecting the dots" I shall store
that thought away. What I might like to add is that sometimes
finding the most "ugly sounds" can also be of benefit. I seem to
try and find one or two of the best tones in each section of the
scale as a reference point. Try to make the most offensive notes
sound better than the reference note(s).  I have found this leads me
to what the instrument is capable of.  Like a chain, the tone is really
only as good or even, as its weakest link.  I like working in the alto
first, it may have some of the worst or weakest tones. IMHO should
be able to cut through the bass but not be pingy. I move down the
scale to even the break into the tenor and then the transition to the
wound strings working back up.  I try to listen & voice at three levels
of volume.  It still amazes me that a good pianist
can generate so many levels of tone with just the attack of the key.

<<Can you tell? It's Saturday night and I'm writing my sermon.>>B.B.
Sometimes voicing can be a religious experience,  when a note
blooms into something you think it should be.

Barrie writes:
<<I will describe the method which I was taught to needle hammers.
Toning down comes in two sections cutting back and picking out.  >>

You have described beautifully the physical aspects of needling,
and tone regulating. I also like to use triads to look for
unevenness.  I have a hammer iron as you describe. The iron is
quite old and I use it regularly, with an alcohol burner which
leaves very little residue, although I am afraid to use the burner in
homes with pets or children. The beauty of this iron is it heats very
quickly and and can be cooled just as easily. The simple design
is quite eloquent and effective.

<<When the agreed level is attained,  I then re tune the piano.  Then
proceed to pick out.   I start for my first pass at the top treble and
run down chromatically and pick out any obvious bright notes. I then
change to one needle and proceeded working from the middle of the piano
working outwards carefully going over an octave at a time picking out
any unevenness paying particular attention the the brakes.  I also use a
wedge to check the hammers evenness in tone by muting off left and <snip>
 Barrie

I think the systems are similar and there is obviously no right or
wrong ways to approach this subject. After attending dozens
and dozens of voicing discussions the answer ends up being:
do whatever it takes. As B. Ballard pointed out you may use a tool
in a most unique way to achieve the desired results.
The more tricks in your bag the more chances for success.

Thanks for the input - and yes a few trips to the "loo" are always
needed to give the ear and mind a rest. I would like to hear more
on this subjective topic.

Best Regards
Mark Ritchie RPT