Voicing and Inharmonicity

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Sun, 09 Mar 1997 16:06:23 -0500 (EST)

"Occassionally accussed of being opinionated"

Les,

This is an understatement this time.  To suggest Chopin could never be
enjoyed on a YAMAHA is not only ignorant but heretical.  You, my friend, have
an opinion...not a factual statement.  Many the world over like the sound of
Steinways as well as Yamahas.  The Yamaha "S" Series are wonderfully rich and
warm and produce just the sound you say is impossible.  Also the NEW
Conservatory Series by Yamaha have proved to be wonderfull in character and
don't carry that exclusively "Jazz" sound that you suggest.  To suggest also
that Steinways have a distinct sound is also unbelievable.  I have read
dozens of ways to voice the Steinway, this week alone...suggested hammer
changes and ways to build tone also, on Steinways,...all seemingly different.
 How can ALL be appropriate for ONE style of music alone when they are so
distinctly unique.  You also say that a Yamaha (and others) will never sound
like a Steinway, Yes they sound like what they are, but to suggest that only u
p tempo boogies are all they are good for fries me...  We are skilled
laborers in the art of making instruments the best we can make them.   I just
finished preping the C7 (7'6") Yamaha, just delivered to a church, they will
play many styles of music and may not change the piano weekly to suit the
music chosen.  Rarely does something like this get my goat...but today you
did.  You also had the alienating statement......"Bad dreams that had not yet
come true..." in reference to import pianos in general.  I cannot tell you
stronger than I already have, how I feel.  I appreciate your love for the
old, but I look to the future, not to the past.  My feeling is you don't get
a chance to work on pianos like the CF3S or a S6 Yamaha do you?  If you did,
you would look to the future also and know it is in cappable hands.

Respectfully submitted,
Ed Tomlinson
Tomlinson Tuning and repair
Vancouver Wa