Sealed pianos

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 00:47:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Horace.

The piano was a late 1950's vintage with a natural wood case. Actaully
quite a nice instrrument. By using a long, flexible-blade scraper, and
a lot of patience, I was eventually able to separate the key frame from
the bed. I then scraped and sanded off the glue residue, adjusted the
glides, took care of the action problems and reassembled evrything. The
key frame exibited no warping or knock and the una corda, sostenuto and
damper pedals worked just fine. To this day I have no idea what possess-
ed that earlier tech to glue the keyframe to the keybed. Fortunately,
when I explained the problem to the piano's owner, and she saw the steam
begin to come out of my ears, she left me alone to work in peace. I think
I may have expressed a couple of uncomplimentary opinions about the pre-
vious technician, which she was better off not hearing! :-)

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net