Chickering Stringscale

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Sat, 08 Mar 1997 00:41:18 -0500 (EST)

> Yes, there are several of us *closet* hand-tiers out there. [snip]...I,
too, like the results of hand tying over
>  using the machine.

Some years ago we were restringing a 7'4" Boesendorfer, with all loops. We
had an employee who was quick and efficient. So quick and efficient, in fact,
that almost all of the # 14-1/2 wire broke at the loop soon after the piano
was delivered. What happened? We were using a looper, and the speed of
cranking overheated the wire! We restrung that section with wire from the
same spool (I hand wound them) and the piano is fine 15 years later.

Bob Davis