Sealed pianos

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 07 Mar 1997 18:53:37 -0800 (PST)

At 07:32 PM 3/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi, Avery.
>
>I guess this one fits in under the "sealed piano" thread. A couple of
>years ago I was called in to service an S&S "L" that was exhibiting
>some action problems. I removed the check block screws easily,  and
>then the key-slip, check blocks and fall board. No problem. Until I
>tried to remove the action. It simply wouldn't budge. Further inves-
>tigation revealed that a charter member of the BPTA ( Bozo Piano
>Technicians of America) had turned the glides up all the way and then-
>now get this--glued the keyframe to the keybed! Talk about frustration!
>It turned some relatively routine action-work into a major PITA. And,
>yes, my sense of frustration was clearly reflected in my bill! :-)
>
>Les Smith
>lessmith@buffnet.net

Reminds me of a Kawai grand that had been in storage, and when returned, the
left pedal wouldn't work.  I couldn't get the action out, either.

It turns out the movers had traded screws, and used the lyre screws to hold
the legs on, going right through the keyframe in the process. Then the leg
screws were too short for the lyre, so they threw out the washers, and just
managed to get the lyre to stay on.

Susan Kline, R.P.T.
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,