Upper back repair

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 20:43:29 -0500 (EST)

Warren,
Look for about 1/4 tone pitch raise. Tune it later.
Depending on the type of wood on the back you may need to put
washers to reduce compression. Suspect the bottom as well,
tip it back and replace all screws with carraige or machine bolts,
even if they are not loose or the back separated. Support and replace
the treble plate screw behind the bridge, also. Because if they are not
loose now, they will be. All these things should be carraige bolts anyways.
After all these years of piano construction you'd think they'd build 'em
like brick shipyards, and not rely on glue so much.
Definety clamp surfaces closed before drilling to insure hole alignment.
3/8" bolts is sufficient.
Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)