Steinway grand restringing (long)

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Thu, 06 Mar 1997 07:58:36 -0800

Vanderhoofven wrote:

snip

> are, "Once I begin working, where do I stop?"  and "Do I really want to be
> known as the piano technician who did a halfway job on a piano that could
> have been completely restored?"

Seems to me that spending $1500 to restring a piano that is 108 years
old and needs EVERYTHING is like putting new tires on a car with a blown
engine.

As you pointed out, everything is connected to everything else, and just
fixing one part because it fits into the budget will accomplish only one
goal - spending the available money.

Better for your reputation and your self-esteem to suggest that the
available budget be applied where it will do more good.  If the
administration insists on spending the money on the Steinway, suggest
that it would best be spent on repairs that would not be wasted should
more thorough work be funded in the near future.  Spend the money on
hammers and action work, then next year, go for the bucks to do the
rest.

Frank Weston