Hammers with and without

Oorebeek A. oorebeek@euronet.nl
Tue, 04 Mar 1997 17:16:08 +0000

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to say something about hammer hardener.
I hardly ever use it, and if I need it, I will need it for some high =
treble hammers in the last octave only.
I am of the opinion that a well fabricated hammer sounds best without =
dope, so if you think you really need hardener, ther must be =
something wrong with the hammerhead!
The natural tension in the >high quality<  felt of a >good< hammer =
will give the very best result.
If you add another element the quality >and< the sound, will not be =
the same.
I do not mean to put down doping technique, not at all! This is an =
art in it's self.

So what do I add to the hardener/dope story? My conclusion is that if =
you have a soft set of hammers (which you can feel beforehand), you =
should send them back and ask for a better set.
This is good for you and in the end good for the factory.
I order my hammers straight from Renner with specific remarks each =
time. This works very well.
I ask for a specific weight, felt quality and choose for a bright or =
mellow sound, depending on the customer and the instrument.
As I said, sometimes it is necessary (after a few months of playing) =
to put some hardener in the last 5 or 6 treble hammers.
The hardener I use is collodium, alcohol and ether, because it does =
not drastically influence the character of the hammer but increases =
the volume. I delete it and don't like to use it because it stinks =
mightily.
So what will be your answer?

(the groom is nervous, he answers twice)(Ray Charles in "making =
whoopy")

Friendly Greetings from:

CONCERT PIANO SERVICE
Andr=E9 Oorebeek