Keybed squeak

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 16:11:21 -0800

JElving@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 97-03-01 17:47:13 EST, adarpub@servco.com (Arlie D. Rauch)
> writes:
>
> <<
>  If you use the una chorda gingerly, all is well.  If you depress it fairly
>  quickly, there is a sharp, loud squeak.  If I had had hours to spend, I
>  might have solved it, but the few attempts I made were futile.
>   >>

> Arlie -
>
> Check to make sure that the DAG limiter screws and turned in 1/2 turn; then
> make sure the balance rail glide bolts and all touching the keybed (normally
> the two end ones are not); Lubricate the keybed where the front rail, back
> rail and glide bolts make contact with Teflon spray (DRY) of Teflon powder;
> finally, lubricate the shift spring, shift lever where it contacts the
> keyframe, and both ends of the keyframe where they contact the shift block
> and shift spring with *dry* spray Teflon. If this doesn't eliminate the
> squeek, then lubricate the contact points of the kamper push rod with Protek
> MPL.
>
> Not only should this take care of the squeak, but it should make the keyframe
> move much easier.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> John Elving, RPT
> Sacramento, CA
> John Elving, RPT
> Sacramento, CA
> ---------------------

Arlie,

Some of the earlier Young Chang grands had a shifter lever made out of
plywood instead of cast iron.  In addition the pivot pin bearing blocks
were screwed to the keybed with screws with not enough thread in the
wood to hold against the stress of a heavy kick on the pedal.  What you
are hearing is the screws being extracted from the keybed!

Hope this helps,

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher