The darn plastic elbows

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Sun, 02 Mar 1997 12:35:05 -0500 (EST)

<< << am replacing a set of elbows on a Winter spinet, (Horace,
  condolences accepted in advance).  Usually they just break up
  into dust and I can snap in the Vagius elbows and be done with
  it, but most of these are soft! and I will have to pop out the
  pin to remove.  I think I remember someone talking about some
  way to make them hard with freon? gas...Am I going crazy......
  I must be to still be working on these things...

  ilvey, RPT (David Ilvedson)
  Pacifica, CA

David,

After replacing a few sets of "replaced"  plastic elbows that had been
installed in the late 1960's we went to the long wood elbows that APSCO &
Schaff sell for plastic elbow replacement. It takes a bit longer but we can
guarantee the job to the customer and make a bit more money leaving us both
happier. Usually we recondition the action, tune and clean the piano during
this procedure and the customer is set until the next tuning. If the piano is
out of town, we do the whole procedure in the home- average total time 6-8
hours depending upon the pitch change, hammer shaping, and cleaning times.
Just another view.

Regards,

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician