drilling block without plate bushings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 09:43:14 -0500 (EST)

Greetings.

Les writes:

> you can use a wood bit exactly  the same size
>as the diameter of the hole in the plate, and, using a hammer, gently
>tap the end of the bit, to mark the center of each hole in the plate.
>When finished, go back and center-punch each hole you have marked.

    I have found it easier, quicker, and more accurate to put that exact same
size drill bit in a 3/8" drill, and then lightly dimple the pinblock through
the plate holes.
    The small, conical depression that is left does a real clean job of
centering the tuning pin hole when you put the block under the drill press.

Regards,
Ed Foote