drilling block without plate bushings

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 01 Mar 1997 05:33:55 -0500 (EST)

Actually, you don't have to move the drill press at all. Once you have
the new pinblock fitted you can use a wood bit exactly  the same size
as the diameter of the hole in the plate, and, using a hammer, gently
tap the end of the bit, to mark the center of each hole in the plate.
When finished, go back and center-punch each hole you have marked. Then
remove the pinblock from the piano and drill the holes on the drill-
press, after setting it up for the 7o angle. Feed very slowly and
you'll wind up with much more uniformly angled pins than if you try
to drill them free-hand with the block still in the piano. One person
can do the drilling alone, if it's  a multiple-piece pinblock. When
drilling the more common one-piece blocks, it's best to have someone
to help you hold and stabilize the pinblock as it's being drilled.
Piece  of cake!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net