Soundboards/stress

Robert W.Hohf rhohf@idcnet.com
Fri, 27 Jun 1997 05:26:02 -0500

Jim,

Thank you for your comments.

You said:
"If you ever get a chance (time) to do another one,
you might make a panel which is compressed across the grain as the ribs
are glued on. Baldwin does this to avoid putting the convex side of the
board into tension after the ambient air curving of the ribs and board."

Actually, I tried several methods to put one of my small panels into
 compression but was unsuccessful.  Every time I applied pressure across
the grain (radially) the panel buckled.  My panels were only about 3/16"
thick--much thinner than a real board.  My understanding of the Baldwin
process is that they use flat ribs and a flat caul.  And you're saying that
they compress the panel while gluing.  This sounds very difficult.  How do
they do it?

Ron and Del,  I'm going to have to dig out my model soundboards and look
them over again, then get back to you.

Bob Hohf
Wisconsin