How to adjust glocken in Steinway D

Kazuo Yoshizaki yoshi@hpycmf.kobe.hp.com
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:08:18 +0900 (JST)

Dear sirs,

I have posted the following question to rec.music.makers.piano but have
had no reply. Please e-mail me if someone knows this. Thanks.

The other day, while I was netsurfing, I happend to find a page by
Japanese Piano technician.  He has been rebuilding Steinways for years
but obviously looking for a correct adjustment method for "glocken", the
peculiar shaped brass part supporting the bell or the plate nosebolt in the
treble area, which is attached to the rim. He once visited Hamburg factory and
asked a craftsman there but he says his answer was not quite clear.
He assumes adujustment is necessary before and after stringing, but doesn't
exactly know what torque to apply to the screw/bolt.
Another question is about a wooden bar (1/4in thick) placed inside the corner
of the rim near the glocken just under the soundboard, of which shape is
almost the same as the soundboard ribs. What is the purpose of this part?

yoshi@kobe.hp.com