Hamburg Steinway Hammers

stanwood stanwood@tiac.net
Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:27:20 -0500

>From: Horace Greeley <hgreeley@leland.Stanford.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Hamburg Steinway Hammers
>
>David,
>
>Yes, the real thing is from Renner.
>
>However, it is not the same as other hammers made by Renner for other
>consumption.
>
>Like Bösendorfer, Steinway's hammers from Renner are made to exclusive
>specifications.

According to Michael Mohr the Hamburg hammers may be made by either Abel or
Renner.
My experience is that the Abel made Steinway hammer is a little softer and
may even require a little hardening.  I prefer this.

Bob Marinelli was on a tour of the Abel and Renner factories.  He noted that
the tempurature settings on the hammer presses was 200 degrees at Abel and
300 degrees at Renner.

David C. Stanwood