Soundboards/stress, questions

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:17:18 -0500

I heard about 7 lbs per string caused by the bearing of the string
across the bridge.  That's why I would like to figure it out, only
that I lack the formula.  A string under tension when deflected
pushes back according to the angle and distance. (which are functions
of one another).  I bet the down pressure of string # 1  would
surprise us all.  This formula would also be useful for those of us
who manipulate strings under tensions such as for leveling,  using
the tool called  "false beat eliminator", and the other tool called
"string stretcher".

	At 7 lbs pressure, at 200 strings would be 1400 lbs.  a good size
cow, or I suppose a small elephant.

Richard Moody