..the new guy gets inaugurated..

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 06:35:03 -0700

Phil Bondi wrote:

> ...lester spinet..circa 1954..the woman says it hasn't been tuned in *4-5
> years*..bull...more like 8-10 years..93 cents flat...also complained about a
> couple of keys not working..opened it up and guess what i found...that's
> right..plastic elbows..i read some of the horror stories here and heard a
> couple more at LB's shop..told this woman that i would have to order the
> parts and return to complete the pitch raise..well, as i was tuning it, i
> broke 5 more.

Phil,

What I would have done, is:

1. Check for other plastic parts (hammer & damper flanges, jacks &
flanges)  and bid the whole job. If that is refused....

2. Get a check in advance for my minimum service fee(1 hour) PLUS the
retail cost (my cost plus markup) of the elbows.  Or one third of the
whole bid cost whichever is more.  You don't need to go into all this,
just say "to cover parts costs" and state your amount.  Now this is
important!  GET THIS AMOUNT REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU HAVE AN OPEN
ACCOUNT WITH YOUR SUPPLIERS!  This will keep you from having a cash flow
shortage when you are doing a large job!

3. Pull the action, if you will be doing it in the shop.  If not, pack
up and get out of there to your next appointment early.  Tuning with
plastic elbows is a bummer! :-)

signed,

"Ben Thar Dun Dat"

--