String Storage

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org
Sat, 07 Jun 1997 20:32 -0500 (EST)

     June 7, 1997

     Dear List,

     I am trying to figure out a good way to store my coils of piano wire
     so that they don't rust before I can use them.  I will be taking my
     coils back with me to the Philippines where temperatures in hot season
     climb to 105 deg F and humidity floats at 90% and up.  This is the
     environment I am concerned about.  Untreated steel takes very little
     time to begin rusting there.  Exposed mechanical parts there are
     generally sealed up in a product called "Soft-seal" or a thick grease
     which are both easily cleaned off with solvent.

     A couple options that I have are:

     1.  A hot box where moisture is kept out with heat.  This is not fool
     proof as camera lenses still tend to mold.

     2.  Pack the coils with desiccant in an air tight container.

     3.  Store the coils in oil and clean the wire off at time of
     installation.  If stored in oil I wonder what would be a good final
     cleaning solution?  Something that would not leave a residue behind
     that might accelerate corrosion?

     4.  Store them in our air-conditioned archive room.  Only problem
     being, the strings will sweat profusely when brought out into the hot
     humid air.

     These are a few ideas I am wrestling with.  Do any of you others have
     ideas?

     Do any of you ever oil strings lightly to keep them from rusting (in
     the piano)?  I realize that it would be impossible to get to all parts
     of the string span, but some might be better perhaps than none?  I am
     working on encouraging the owners to install damp chasers but not
     everyone will be convinced or willing.

     Thanks for your thoughts,

     Glen

     Glen and Ruth Deligdisch