New Server

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 13:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Andy --

Interspersed comments --

You wrote:
>Sure, I'll fill in the gaps.  I'm a PTG associate (but actively working
>towards an RPT status) with a background in networking and the Internet.
>I am on the PTG Electronic Communications Committee.  I'm teaching the
>"Internet for Piano Technicians" class in Orlando.
>
>A little over a year ago, I registered the ptg.org domain name and setup
>a few mail aliases so the committees could use them.

Good foresight. _Thank you_ for your efforts.

>Who is paying for it?  I am covering the cost of the server and its
>administration.  Several others on the ECC are volunteering significant
>amounts of their time for related projects, most notably Ron Berry and
>his maintenance of the web site.

Is there some way we could get the habit of sending you small amounts of
money once a year to help cover costs, sort of like the little bowl for
dimes next to a company coffee pot? What kind of figure are we looking at?
Would we need a way to collect our little bits into a significant amount, to
save you the nuisance of banking them piecemeal?

I've heard that some day the net will have resources for collecting small
sums many times over, but that the day is still in the future. Ideas, anyone?

>I'm guessing we can keep these Internet services going for a few years
>on volunteered resources like this.  That postpones the PTG budget
>discussion until more folks are "hooked on Internet" (or maybe we'll
>all decide that the Internet is a waste of money -- who knows!).

"Unhooking", giving it up as a waste of time! Not so likely! IMHO, better to
keep the money voluntary, if sufficient funds can be raised that way.

Sincerely,

Susan

P.S. Tag line tongue in cheek, of course!

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"If you want to put yourself on the map, publish your own map."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant