Arch tops

Michael J. Wathen Michael.Wathen@uc.edu
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 16:08:41 -0400

I have never visually inspected an arch top guitar.  One thing I know is
that the bridge is fundamentally different from an ordinary guitar.  The
arch top has a setup very similar to a violin.  The bridge is a
comparatively tall structure by comparison.  It is held in place on the
soundboard surface by down bearing alone (not glued).  By analogy, it has
been well understood for a couple centuries that gluing the bridge on a
violin destroys the sound.

Another feature is that the string on an arch top is not attached at the
bridge but to a free anchor suspended from the rim of the guitar.

I have heard both observations about arch tops.  Some say they have better
sustain and others say the opposite.  I have also heard that arch tops are
more brilliant and cutting than an ordinary guitar.

My own belief is that the effect of gluing a bridge makes for a stronger
coupling resulting in a quicker energy loss form the string and a sharper
attack.  I would imagine that the arch top has a sharper attack but that it
is much less severe from what it would have been had the bridge been glued.

It's hard to say.

 Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
 Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
 College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu