Recrowning/bridge wedging

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 10:35:40 -0700

Jim,

I am not sure about the chicken and/or the egg.  The rooster must involved
somewhere as well.

Point is, I agree.  The piano is a dynamic structure, and must be
considered as such.  That's why, for me, the frame of reference is not
physical but philosophical.  In that way, it is possible to account for the
physical variations of different components from a position that depends on
extrinsic, rather than intrinsic, criteria.  That is, if the defining
criteria of what works are musical, then a wider variety of physical
characteristics can be considered at the same time.  Sort of a poor man's
applied calculus.

Worst time I ever had was a chandelier.  It resonated with F#.  Which would
be fine, except that I still have trouble getting an F# with which I am
happy.  Ah, well...

Horace

At 08:31 AM 6/3/97 -0400, you wrote:
>List;
>  The discussion of bearing is rather like the chicken and egg discussion.
>All elements must be present for a piano to be of productive sound.
> Crown is essential for noise and volume? Adequate bridge height is essential
>for clear transmission of vibration ?  Proper plate design and placement  is
>essential for stable constraining of longitudinal string movement?
>  Each of these three elements are essential in the production of bearing and
>none takes precedence over the other.  How one element is handled is
>determined on how the other two were handled.  And in my opinion it doesn't
>matter which element is handled first.
>  All sound boards are by definiton "pre crowned", either thru physically
>sitting a crowned structure in a rim assembly, or thru the manipulation of
>heat and humidity to assure the desired amount of crown  after the board is
>installed and is cooled/absorbs moisture.
>  It seems to me that focusing on one element of "bearing" without taking
>into account the other two elements is not productive.  Wouldn't that be like
>trying to stop a rattle, in a really good grand, for two hours and not
>succeeding because the rattle is in the chandelier ?
>  Perhaps I have missed the point of the thread.
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Horace Greeley

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu