Gordon Laughead

pianoman pianoman@inlink.com
Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:15:00 -0500

----------
> From: JIMRPT@aol.com
> To: pianoman@inlink.com
> Subject: Gordon Laughead
> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 1997 12:49 PM
>
> James;
it.
>   OH Well ! they say the first thing to go is the
> ............................   darn, I can't remember !  :-)
> Jim B.
Dear Jim,
When the PTG convention was in St. Louis in 1973 the fellow I was working
for bought the several pianos that Gordon brought for his boothe.  Gorgon
invited my employer and wife sand my wife and I out to eat after the
convention.  We went to a very fancy restaurant and I had Prime Rib for the
first time.  Gordon picked up the tab.  Later we went up to the factory in
New Haven and got the grand tour and bought several more pianos to bring
back.  We also went by Charles Walter and visited his place and bought some
parts racks and pianos. Later I bought a number of Laughead pianos that I
sold with my color brochure (Was I a good salesman).  Later his factory
burned and he was under insured and could not get started again.
	As I understood it his father, who had been a Wurlitzer salesman made all
the jigs for the styles of his pianos and the scales were purchased Charles
Frederick Steins.  He had one innovation that connected between the bass
bridge and kick panel.  It was a bar that caused the kick panel to vibrate
along with the bass bridge.  It was optional at extra cost (75.00 as I
remember, though I never seen one).  They were decent low cost pianos
(better than Whitneys).  After the fire I heard nothing else what happened
to Gordon and his family.
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com
"If you don't do it today you may not get a chance to do it tomorrow"