Piano Shaped Object

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:50:14 -0400

----------
> From: Danny Moore <danmoore@ih2000.net>
> To: PianoTech <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Piano Shaped Object
> Date: Wednesday, July 30, 1997 7:08 PM
>
> Dear list:
> I've stayed out of this as long as possible, but unfortunately have been
> asked my opinion by both parties.  I have a customer who wants to sell
> her 15 year old Kimball LaPatitte pseudo-grand-piano.  I have another
> customer who wants to buy it.  The have asked me what it's worth (in
> American dollars.)
>
> Obviously, my inclination is to say the seller should pay my moving fee
> to have it hauled off and the buyer should find a new tuner, but it's
> hard to say that tactfully to 2 little old ladies.
>
> Unfortunately this is the real world and this thing isn't going away.
> What should I tell them?  Right now, I think the seller is thinking
> $1500 and the buyer is thinking $900.  Any and all suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>
> Danny Moore
> Houston Chapter

Oh please, get yourself out of the middle of this -- you're running matters
that can be described as Conflicts of Interests.  If you have to remain in
the middle, be strictly a contact service that will enable them to get in
touch with each other, then let them fight it out.  Offer no opinions or
pricing guidelines.  Politely explain that you are not in a position to
offer any guidelines and that they should each seek other technicians to
help them out before any transfer of ownership is worked out.  Think of
yourself as a mediator, and the other technicians they bring in will be the
lawyers.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor
diskladame@provide.net