Piano Shaped Object (Reply)

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:07:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dan:

My advice to you is to back off.  Tell them that since you serve both
parties you cannot participate.

No matter what you say, it will come back to haunt you if one or the other
becomes dissatisfied with the opinion you give.

You may, if you wish, refer them to another disinterested technician or,
perhaps, to a dealer who might have a better handle on prices.

Fred

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Danny Moore wrote:

> Dear list:
> I've stayed out of this as long as possible, but unfortunately have been
> asked my opinion by both parties.  I have a customer who wants to sell
> her 15 year old Kimball LaPatitte pseudo-grand-piano.  I have another
> customer who wants to buy it.  The have asked me what it's worth (in
> American dollars.)
>
> Obviously, my inclination is to say the seller should pay my moving fee
> to have it hauled off and the buyer should find a new tuner, but it's
> hard to say that tactfully to 2 little old ladies.
>
> Unfortunately this is the real world and this thing isn't going away.
> What should I tell them?  Right now, I think the seller is thinking
> $1500 and the buyer is thinking $900.  Any and all suggestions will be
> appreciated.
>
> Danny Moore
> Houston Chapter

Fred W. Tremper, RPT