convention stuff..

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 18:32:27 -0400

----------
> From: Phil Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: convention stuff..
> Date: Monday, July 28, 1997 10:45 AM
>

> ..anyone here ever tune a duplex scale..??..after the tune-off, i met up
> with a gentleman from NY going through the duplex scales of all 4
pianos..he
> was looking for an *unfair advantage* for either Virgil or Jim...i
thought
> it was quite interesting..comments?

Too bad people thought the gentleman from New York (I believe his name was
Dan Anderson) could have done something else with his time other than check
the duplexes.  I see him as trying to unearth yet one more of the little
obscurities in pianoland.  I still recall vividly 2 instances in years past
... 1] a technician carefully bumped the aliquot bar in the high treble of
a high quality piano and brought about an explosive improvement to the tone
in that section.  2] some years before that I tried tuning a piano in a
showroom in Boston and found myself tearing my hair out trying to figure
out what it wanted to do.  I saw that the duplex area had been tampered
with so I muted it off with a strip of masking tape.  No doubt this
deadened the tone, but it did make tuning a lot easier.  Then I tried
playing it after pulling off the masking tape and it sounded confused all
over again.  I remember wishing I knew more about this area so that I may
try to correct it.

ZR! RPT
Ann Arbor
diskladame@provide.net