Hitch pin adjustment

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:23:19 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Paul,

By all means, get the Lowell gauge. It seems somewhat expensive, for what it
is, but it's necessary to this process and can be invaluable for chasing
bearing spooks in any piano. Also, get the tech sheet from Baldwin, one page
(TS039D), outlining the procedure. Also, before you change anything, check
the soundboard crown. A viable board is the first necessity. Check the
bearing in as many places as you can reach to determine what you've got to
work with. Manufacturing processes in general being what they are, you can't
assume that everything was perfect when it left the factory. I'm also
posting another tidbit about the Lowell gauge to further confuse the issue.
<G> I'll explain in the post.

Ron

At 11:28 PM 7/22/97 -0500, you wrote:
>new Baldwin with the Accujust hitch pin system.  What is the best
>method for doing this, and what equipment (downbearing gauge, etc.) do
>I need for doing the job?  He has been trying to clear up a group of
>notes on a SF Baldwin in the high treble which won't sound clear. He
>has tried everything he can think of, including leveling the strings,
>tapping the strings down on the bridge, needling the hammers, etc. He
>mentioned that he has been fooling with the adjustment on the hitch
>pins, so I'll have to reset them.
> When I return from Orlando, I'll be working on this piano, so I'm
>trying to find out what I can do to correct the situation.  Any words
>of wisdom will be much appreciated.
>    Paul McCloud, RPT
>    San Diego

 Ron Nossaman