Tight T Pins

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sat, 26 Jul 1997 12:23:16 -0500 (CDT)

Hi gang,

Ditto on Yamaha being first choice, but...  I've also noticed the Georgia
products coming in with considerably tighter pins than they used to have.
This seems to be the new standard, since they've been coming in that way for
over a year. The imports seem to be getting tighter too, grands as well as
verticals. There is more flex in the small diameter pin, and a super tight
fit just makes them more difficult to tune. I don't have any particular
problem turning the pins, but it's considerably tougher than it used (needs)
to be to settle them in dependably. You have to torque the pin farther
before it moves in the block, and it's more difficult to determine where
that balance between string tension and pin back torque is to leave
everything stable. I never had serious problems with loose tuning pins under
the old standard of lower torque (WONDERFUL feel), so I don't understand why
Yamaha would add a layer of aggravation, where none existed before, to an
otherwise terrific product. No offense intended here. I know Yamaha doesn't
make ANY product changes without good reason. It's just that I've always
been willing to be spoiled and I hate to lose the luxury.

At 10:23 AM 7/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Sorry,
>I shouldn't have referred to that new U1 with the tight pins as a "thing".
>
>Yamaha has been and still is my favorite upright. They are always a pleasure
>to work on.
>But,
>I am still hopeful that Yamaha isnt going to introduce to us that much torque
>on their tuning pins.
>
>Tom Ayers
>School of Fine & Performing Arts
>S.U.N.Y. New Paltz NY