Floor Tunings

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@pianoguy.com
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 18:06:58 -0400 (EDT)

At 7/21/97 6:57:00 PM, you wrote:
>Glenn,
>
>   Lucky you. The Baldwin/Kawai dealer here in Houston only pays $15.00
>for a floor tuning. In some instances, that even applies to a tuning
>given in a customer's home or school.
>
>Avery
>
>>> I've just begun tuning and have received some offers for doing floor
>>> work at a couple of dealers. What would be a fair wage for this type of
>>> work for (1) a novice like myself and (2) for an experienced tuner ? I
>>> believe that the average tuning rate in the Detroit area is around
>>> $70-75 dollars.
>>>
>>> Andrew Hector
>>> Rochester Hills, MI
>>
>>HA!  In the Denver area, for both novices, (like me too) and experienced
>>tuners the rate starts around $18, maybe a bit higher at some stores.  It
>>is the dead season right now for them.
>>
>>Glenn.

Avery
If you feel that $15 for a floor tuning is unreasonable, why would you continue to tune them at that price...?
In reality, the dealer NEEDS his instruments tuned in order to sell them, more than you need the referrals.
We have many sources of business in addition to the dealer referral. I just finished reading a post by Pat
Poulson who stated
 "  If you are doing a professional job of tuning the instrument 'snip', you should be compensated
accordingly.  Patrick Poulson, RPT"
I tend to agree, and have almost eliminated dealer referrals from my sources, for this reason.

just a thought.

Jim Kinnear
pianoguy.com

Jim Kinnear