Restringing Baldwin

Paul E. Dempsey dempsey@ramlink.net
Fri, 18 Jul 1997 16:42:34 -0500

David,
I personally have not had the opportunity to use the G&C bass strings as
suggested by Bob Moffit. However, I did recently (1995-96) rebuild a
Baldwin 9foot SD-6 S.N. 79359, built in 1936 and installed  bass strings
from Mapes,hammers from Wally Brooks{Encore Performance} and the results
were truly glorious.

>List>
>My local concert organization, which has had an on going piano
>fund for about 10 years, just made the big purchase on a Baldwin
>Concert Grand.  SB6, #190965.  $12,000.00, which I felt was a
>pretty good price.  It is a very solid, well built instrument
>but the iron wound strings are dead and I expect to restring it
>in the next few months.  I have always used Mapes for my bass
>strings but I have noticed other people swearing by different
>folks.  Question?  If you were restringing a concert grand and
>wanted the finest that money can buy what/who would you use and
>why?
>
>Thanks in advance
>ilvey
>Pacifica, CA