Restringing Baldwin

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:56:49 +0000

List,

My local concert organization, which has had an on going piano
fund for about 10 years, just made the big purchase on a Baldwin
Concert Grand.  SB6, #190965.  $12,000.00, which I felt was a
pretty good price.  It is a very solid, well built instrument
but the iron wound strings are dead and I expect to restring it
in the next few months.  I have always used Mapes for my bass
strings but I have noticed other people swearing by different
folks.  Question?  If you were restringing a concert grand and
wanted the finest that money can buy what/who would you use and
why?

Thanks in advance
ilvey
Pacifica, CA