Old Steinway

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:08:27 -0400

Dear List.

I have been asked to rebuild an old American Steinway Serial 48654  I
looked it up in a piano Atlas and it was manufactured in 1882. Some time
ago, someone tried to rebuild it and changed so many parts, I doubt they
left any original part in it. I was trying to work out how much would cost
and if the piano is worth it. By examining the piano I canīt determine
anything,  The so called technician who did the previous job even messed up
with the soundboard, so it left it dull. It need new pinblock, complete
restauration of the action. Whole set of strings. The customer had it in
the familly for a very long time and it is willing to pay. I contacted
Steinway & Sons and they told me to get in touch with a Steinway
representative in Colombia....? It seems they apointed Colombia as sole
distribuitor for Southamerica, and they will not even answer something
related to an instrument made by them ...!!!

Any of you have had anything to do with a similar piano. I would like to
know if those pianos are worth the effort or shall I convince the client to
forget it.

Thank you in advance

Elian Degen      degen@telcel.net.ve
Piano Tuner and technician, Caracas, Venezuela.