Perfect Pitch? How about NO pitch

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 10:01:44 -0600

>How about the customer that claims the top half octave or so is producing no
>pitch, only a thumping noise? This is perhaps one of the touchiest customer
>relations problems I have run into and I sometimes wonder how others handle
>this situation.

Dave,
	The only times a gentle reminder that we ALL lose the high end as we
'mature' hasn't worked, I've coaxed the customer into a (room, store,
school, church) place with a 20--50 thousand dollar piano. When they still
hear nothing but a click or thump, I ask them if 'they' (the mfgs) could
get away with that price for a 'click'. Settled.
	Point to ponder ro try: some customers have lost a very specific range,
and can sometimes enjoy their piano more when that top octave is tuned
'off'. Rarely effective, but once or twice can be worth the satisfied player.
Guy

When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.     anon