NO - Pitch Perceptions

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:54:44 -0400

To all those poeple who are tuning for people who cannot hear the top
octave ...

Tuning the top octave is a nuisance no matter how you cut it for a number
of reasons let alone how well anyone hears it.  And yes, it can lead to
problems in customer relations.  We all have our opinions and egos about
how well we can tune pianos, but it is the customers who have to live with
the pianos we tune.  Admittedly I haven't encountered this (blaming me for
a tuning they cannot herar) as a problem yet, but I should think that one
approach would be to have the customer present when tuning that last octave
so that they may speak up if and when they hear the note.  I might try
plucking it with a guitar pick just to leave any "hammer faults" out of the
question.  If they still don't hear it ... ... the next questions to them
or any possible explanations depend on the receptiveness of the customer.
It could be that I can get them to think about their hearing, or it could
be that the piano simply cannot be made to speak to them in that frequency
range, or some combination of both.

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor
diskladame@provide.net