Hammer striking line

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Mon, 14 Jul 1997 14:47:43 -0700 (MST)

Hi Frank:

When I layed out the scaling for the Walter Piano when it was still
a Conn C-48, I used a 1/8 strike-point to total length ratio from
note 1 to about note 52. Then I graduated the ratio to 1/20 at note
88 so that the strike-point would be about 3/32" from the V-bar. Most
pianos will sound better when note 88 strikes around 1/8" to 3/32"
from the V-bar. I think there may be a better formula for the change
of strike-point, for I noticed that Chuck Walter has made a change or
two in this regard since our original layout. Perhaps Del Fandrich can
give us a better guide as to what he would do in a new scale layout.

Jim Coleman, Sr.