Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation

Zen Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:36:15 -0400

----------
> From: EugeniaCar@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hawkeye Harriet-Theme & Variation
> Date: Saturday, July 12, 1997 7:43 AM
>
> In a message dated 97-07-12 06:51:12 EDT, PDtek@aol.com writes:
>
> << Of course there are times when we have to make
>  requests in order to do the best possible job for them, but we are most
>  likely to be welcome back into their home if we are willing to go with
the
>  family flow as much as possible.
>   >>

> Dave and all,
>
> I certainly agree. We all have at one time or another found some very
> "interesting" situations. How do we cope with the kids at home? After
trial
> and error what works best for me follows:
>
> Mom and I have chatted pleasantly for a few minutes while the kids are
> running wild. I tell Mom as much as I'm enjoying talking I'd better get
> work. She says she'll take the kids out. Now these kids are Mom's pride
and
> joy, so I say no, let them stay, which usually startles Mom.

... and the beats go on ...

Hi Eugenia!

Let's face it -- there are as many different ways to handle kids as there
are kids, just like there are as many different ways of performing a
technical feat as there are technicians.

My usual approach is to get the kids involved as something more than casual
by-standers.  I'll invite them to "play" a few notes on the action and
describe what they see as causing the hammer to move.  (Kids love hearing
about the jacks kicking the hammers in the butts.)  Then when it comes to
tuning, I'll tell them that the piano is going to tell me a story, but that
I wouldn't be able to hear all of the details unless they are super-quiet.
Perhaps I'll ask them to take turns delivering the test blows.  Or, perhaps
I'll ask them to tip-toe out of the room.

The bottom line here is to get the kids to interact with the piano in such
a way that it comes to life for them.  Then I get all the respect in the
world from them.

"OK everybody -- who wants to be first to play a tuned piano?"

ZR!  RPT
Ann Arbor
diskladame@provide.net