the in tune continuo...

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 00:32:53 -0500

Very interesting
	Now I must find out what  "continuo" is as in the announcements on
classical radio, "and now a Vivaldi concerto for strings and
continuo". Never mind what I thought it was but if you must know
"email me privately".
	But a question I would like to ask is did the (baroque keyboard
players for instance) tune their instruments according to what key
the piece was written in?  In that Vivaldi concerto we hear the
harpsichord sounding like a twangy raspy metallic tone generating
instrument that gets 3/4 buried in the "mix" as recordng engineers
might say.
	And another question that might be interesting to pursue, is how
actually are guitars and lutes tuned, especially how the frets are
layed out.  I have heard some people advocating this might be the
earliest example of Equal Temperemant.  On that I am skeptical as
string pressure also has a lot to do with making chords sound in
tune, or when does the player complain about the spacing of the
frets? What does determine the spacing of the frets?

Richard Moody
	"Sir, these frets are buzzing,.
	"Ma'am, it is your fingering.  If I may demonstrate.....
----------
> From: Steve Pearson <SPearson@yamaha.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Hawkeye Harriet -Reply -Reply -Reply
> Date: Friday, July 11, 1997 11:58 AM
>
> actually, violinists often push the thirds even sharper than the
piano,
> depending on the key, and where the note is leading.  In early
music
> "period instrument" groups, efforts are made to play purer thirds,
(flat)
> adjusting to the tuning system used by the continuo instrument.
That will