Perfect Pitch

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 00:25:56 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:56:42 -0400 (EDT)
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> From:          Phil Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
> Subject:       Perfect Pitch

Phil,

This is in total sincerity...

Question?  When did you realize you could name pitches you
heard?  Did you have a piano/instrument in the house?  Do you
think it was up to pitch/in tune as you grew up...

I keep wondering if someone with this "pitch memory skill" or
what ever it is, could have it without the introduction of
musical listening during their development.  We all know that
pitch has varied throughout musical history.  Could someone with
this ability who grew up with the source of music input being
off from standard pitch (such as an out of tune piano) have
"perfect pitch" but only "perfect" to this false standard?  I
guess what I'm trying to say is do all "perfect pitch" folk hear
the same "perfection"?

> ..i'll keep it short..
>
> ..until someone comes up with a better *term* for what some of us are
> blessed with, it will always raise questions..perhaps Relatively Perfect Pitch?
>
> ..if someone asks me to sing a *A*, i can, in *reletive* terms..if someone
> asks me to name the 4-5 notes in that chord, i can..if someone asks me to
> tell them what key this song is in, i can..
>
> ..if it ain't perfect, then what should we call it..relative?..can someone
> with *good* relative pitch sing an *A* on command?..i don't think so.
>
> ..i invite your comments..publicly or privately.

ilvey
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com