Perfect Pitch

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:32:25 -0500

Hi Phil
	I have a question that has been bugging since I wondered about it
due to a tune I couldn't get out of my head.  If a person has perfect
pitch, pitch recognition,or tonal recal, or tonal recognition, or
whatever you want to call it,  can he or she upon hearing a tune,
write down the notes, especially if they can hum it to themselves.
I  have no idea if a note being played is C or A, so that precludes
me from knowing what key the song is in.   I have heard that with
training one can recognize the interval of the next note played. I
think it is easier to produce the interval musically than to name it
upon hearing it. I can tell most triads esp if they are in tonic.  Of
course rhythm or timing is important, other wise Joy to the World
would sound only like a descending C major scale.

Richard Moody

> From: Phil Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Perfect Pitch
> Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997 5:56 PM
>
> ..i'll keep it short..
>
> ..until someone comes up with a better *term* for what some of us
are
> blessed with, it will always raise questions..perhaps Relatively
Perfect Pitch?