piano manufacturers

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 01:06:04 -0500

----------
> From: rmartin21@juno.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: piano manufacturers
> Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997 1:54 PM
>
> We need to start equipping our R &
> D departments with adequate funding to start designing some NEW
> products...not warm over yesterday's successes. Fresh blood and
freash
> ideas are necessary.
>

> Ralph

They did, and came up with the electronic organ of the 60's and 70's,
the polyphonic synthesizers of the 70's and 80's and now the digital
pianos of the 80's and 90's, because of the simple business maxim,
"Market Demand."
	What was happening in the piano industry besides the domestic market
slumping and imported sales increasing at the same time? For one
thing,  the R&D in the American manufacturing became interested in
producing quantity cheaper, from old factories, while in Japan and
Korea, they were concerned with producing quality in quantity, and
designing new factories to meet these objectives.   As a result,
Aeolian, Kimball, Wurlitzer, K&C, and others got worse, while at the
same time Yamaha, Kawai, Young Chang and Samick were getting better.
While the Americans looked at cheaper materials, such as plywood
soundboards,  scuse me "laminated", particle board case parts,
plastic veneer, and accepting less quality parts,  such as plates,
lower grades of lumber, cheaper felts, the Asians were doing the
opposite.  In about 1985 I remember servicing a Kawai action and a
Yamaha action side by side, and that after noon in seeing a Renner
action and the American action it was replacing.  I was surprised
then of the quality the Japaneses actions  had shown.
	And didn't we hear  how the Asians were enjoying a cheaper labor
force?  I think now Japanese labor is paid the same or more than
American, and of course the Korean workers want those kind of wages
also.  Has this then affected the sales of Japanese vs American
pianos in our own market?
	But what about the piano?  In a few broad concepts, the American
middle class doesn't buy pianos like it used to.  The quality of
American piano has been down.  There is less demand for piano players
in  fact they are called keyboard players more and more. How many
kids between the age of 6 and 16 are taking piano lessons?   And
there is the reality of market saturation, especially in the home or
family market.  That point has been reached in the music industry
market, but there, the turn over of used up instruments is greater.
	The main aspect of piano manufacture has  not so far been mention,
the workers who are craftsmen, or artisians even, who because of
years of experience enable the nuances that make a well designed
piano even better.  There comes a point when R&D is no longer
necessary if the quality of workmanship is lagging or lacking.  If
you want quality pianos you need quality workers.  Somehow I don't
think this concept is high on the list of priorities other wise we
would see a lot more second and third generation crafts people, and a
lot less companies moving to "cheaper labor markets", or even
considering it.

Richard Moody.