those darn words

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 22:40:14 -0500

----------
> From: Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Hawkeye Harriet (off-topic)
> Date: Thursday, July 10, 1997 10:06 AM
>
> >Sorry but I could not find "idetic" in the dictonary.

> "eidetic" It is probably a new word, since several sources didn't
list it.
> Quoting from "Encarta" (good grief, reduced to quoting from
"Encarta"???):

Would you rather be a mouse in  the Webster III run-a-round?
eidetic... relating to eide.   eide, plural of eidos.  eidos,
something that is seen or intuited.   Of course make sure you read
def 2 unless you want to be "a-mazed"

> "In general, memories are less clear and detailed than perception,
but
> occasionally a remembered image is complete in every detail. This
> phenomenon, known as eidetic imagery, is usually found in children,
who
> sometimes project the image so completely that they can spell out
an entire
> page of writing in an unfamiliar language that they have seen a
short time."

> > I didn't have the experience or maxchy (how the heck do you spell
> >that??) to say, "Well, in that case, she should be satisfied"
> >
> >Richard with Mocksay
> >

> "moxie" (from Thesaurus): backbone daring courage nerve spunk grit
>
> Susan-speller

And good ole Webster III  unabridged for word origins.  I forgot, is
that entymology?.  Moxie it reports  is?/was? the trade name for a
soft drink.  and is slang for energy, pep, life.... The famous # 2
definition has it as slang for courage, pluck, audacity, stamina,
backbone...
And I thought it was a Yiddish word.   I must have been thinking of
hutspa, or is that huxpah?

Richard  Lexographer and orthographer Not