Hawkeye Harriet -Reply -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:07:23 -0700

Moxie I can spell, but I apologize for misspelling Eidetic....oops.  It means
the ability to precisely recall something one has seen.  Many a time a
customer smacked a note repeatedly and stated, that note's flat!"  I too
lacked the moxie to ask "...compared to what?"  As a string player I am
also aware that we as a group tend to get sharper and sharper the
higher we go, fudging those thirds and sevenths unconsciously.  Tuning
for  violinists is usually my greatest challenge, because they don't
understand why a piano can't be tuned to match these extreme octave
stretches, or match the perfect fifths we fiddlists tune.  sigh...
Sometimes I suspect there is subconscious need to demonstrate their
extraordinary ear, and test your willingness to comply.  It usually goes
away after the first successful manipulation.  "This is only a test".
just some thoughts...
Steve