Hawkeye Harriet (off-topic)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 08:06:20 -0700 (PDT)

> It is sort of the aural
>equivalent of idetic
>> imagry, or "photographic memory".  [imagery]

>Sorry but I could not find "idetic" in the dictonary.  My two cents
>on perfect pitch is that it is a relative term defining a relative
>concept, and thus  futile proving it "no such thing".

"eidetic" It is probably a new word, since several sources didn't list it.
Quoting from "Encarta" (good grief, reduced to quoting from "Encarta"???):
"In general, memories are less clear and detailed than perception, but
occasionally a remembered image is complete in every detail. This
phenomenon, known as eidetic imagery, is usually found in children, who
sometimes project the image so completely that they can spell out an entire
page of writing in an unfamiliar language that they have seen a short time."

No doubt a psychology textbook would say a lot more.

I believe I heard that Nicolas Slonimsky (author of the Lexicon of Musical
Invective) had this gift. He could remember books he had studied in his
teens, every word on every page, even the coffee stains!

> I didn't have the experience or maxchy (how the heck do you spell
>that??) to say, "Well, in that case, she should be satisfied"
>
>Richard with Mocksay

"moxie" (from Thesaurus): backbone daring courage nerve spunk grit

Susan-speller

(Hey, I don't do it to be obnoxious, I can't help it, you're born with it,
like eye color.)(I just have a typesetter's eye, groan.)(And I don't always
catch my own spelling mistakes, either, just everyone else's.)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"Some of the things that will live longest in my memory never really happened."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant