Charles Walter actions

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Sun, 06 Jul 1997 21:12:38 -0700

Dear Phil and list:

  The current keyframe/key set and top action in the Walter is called
the "Langer 80" and is made by Herrburger Brooks. Sorry I didn't
clarify that before especially since I own one. This represents a dead
give-away about how often I tune the family instrument. Their tuning
stability from decade to decade is incredible.

  Once introduced, I think this action gave the Walter the missing link for
the credibility that it needed to compete in the high end market. From
the quaility and accuracy of machining wood parts to the choice of felt and
leather their manufacturing is second to none. I really like the quality
of the damper felt set. Now I believe the ugly hammers they use are
made in America.  The hammers are soft  and easy to juice and have
plenty of felt on them, right to note #88. This action incorporates
other features like the separate soft pedal hammer rail and probably
other specs I am missing here. I noticed it has brass jack springs and
I wonder why that might be? Anyway, good luck with it. Brent

====
Brent Fischer, Piano Technician
School of Music, Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona 85287-0405
602/965-6760 FAX 602/965-2659 Msg 602/965-3371
http://www.asu.edu/cfa/music/