thrills and temperaments

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Sun, 6 Jul 1997 01:01:20 -0500

----------
> From: A440A@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: thrills and temperaments
> Date: Saturday, July 05, 1997 10:34 PM
>
>  Mark Graham writes:
>
> >  I have been experimenting. I have tuned some of the practice
room and
> >studio pianos with variations of the Vallotti/Young temperament,
usually
> >using the one on page 256 of my huge Jorgensen book.
>
>      This is great!  I think more of us should be spreading the
word.
>  Virtually all the music written before Chopin profits for
something other
> than 12TET.
snip
>      This points up a distinct break from the tonality dominated
music
> composed between 1700 and 1850, and the more chromatic stuff that
the
> Romantics seem to have fallen in love with.
>
> For those that want a copy of the liner notes for the Temperament
CD we will
> have out this fall, I will be glad to send an email copy.
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

I am wondering if some of these tuning schemes could be posted wo
violating copyrights
I would really like to look at Jorgensen, but I don't want to spend
$60 and it might be 120 miles to a library that has it.   I have
developed a spread sheet that shows the beat rates of six intervals,
in Equal Temperament, with room for more.  Am interested in producing
spread sheets of other temperaments,  with the beat rates, and
showing cents deviation from ET so that machines can be used.  I have
one showing Jim Coleman's "Pure fifths in a Well Tempered Octave"
(which I am hoping he consents to WTO and I hope he gets royalty
for).  I am working on another that shows pure fifths in a pure
octave which contains only one wolf fifth and fourth.  These are
available upon request, with Jim's permission for his of course.
	I have found the spread sheet to be the clearest representation of
tuning schemes without the music staff. execpt for the problems of
compatibility.

Richard Moody